Monday 12 September 2011

To Collect or Not to Collect...


Lots of people collect things as a hobby. The items people collect are probably more then the number of people collecting. I collect books, not only because I love to read but, because I love to re-read. If I pick up a souvenir it's for somebody else. My grandmom had these HUGE collection of first-day covers and so many albums of stamps. My family collects fridge magnets from around the world and masks from every country visited by them. ( Soon we will need a mask room !!! )

I have gone through phases whenever I have started to collect. My earliest memory was of collecting soft toys. A monkey used to be a constant companion till recently ! Then came Barbie dolls, teddy bears, stickers. I have this fat album of stickers. Whenever, my father would travel for work I would ask him for a book and some stickers. Then came stick-on tattoos. Again, my eyes would only look out for tattoos in any store we went too. Archie comics I still collect and love my growing collection.

The strangest thing I have ever collected till date are loose tiles from the swimming pool. My friends and me would dive deep in and look out for those loose tiles and come home with plastic bags half full all the time. Now I have a huge container full. Guess of of these days I'll get down to making a collage of tiles. These heavy tiles have traveled with me whenever we have moved countries too...much to my parent's dismay.

Silly bandz, Bucky balls, Polly Pockets, Book Markers...all have a place in my cupboard.

Do you collect things? Have you ever wondered why people collect things? Maybe it's a memory connected to that particular item or perhaps they love it so much..

1 comment: