Thursday 21 July 2011

Teachers without Google: Impossible

No doctor qualifies without owning a stethoscope. Similarly I don't think a teacher can survive without their laptop.

I can't imagine any of my teachers manually writing down their lesson plan. Come to think about it, I haven't seen any of my teachers without their lappy in a while. Seems to have become an extended part of their body. There are so many times when a question is asked you get the response "Have you googled it?' There was a time when my form teacher asked if we knew what loco parenthesis was . breaking down the word she asked if we knew what "loco" was.. I said Crazy.. she wasn't sure if I was right, so she had to google out the word and I was right .. Yay for google !

In L.O the teacher uses google to make the questions and check the answers.

In music , the teacher makes us watch you.tube and plays the song we need to learn.

In Math, the Internet is used to pull out old test papers and mark them. We are even give homework on a math based site! Last year during Math week (when all we have to do is Math online) we had to carry our laptops everyday to school. The best part was when during the week the school server was under maintenance, the class was taken to a nearby coffee shop (obviously with access to wireless facility) to do Math . It was sad 'coz we got no treats !!! booooo

Not only that we get to follow the lessons we miss and we get home assignments on wikispaces...so much for my mom screaming at me for spending so much time on the net !!!

I just hope none of my teachers stalk me on Fb ...now that would be a disaster.

Arguably, teachers are having the best times of their lives with the aid of computers and Internet.

2 comments:

  1. Hi There,

    I totally agree with your thoughts. It's seems like everybody is hooked on to the web world for everything and the small pleasures of life are slowly disappearing...

    Wonder what's happened to all the good old corner book shops that I used to love visiting to pick up my weekend read :( Don't find them now cause they have been replaced by ebooks!

    I always wondered if technology is actually a boon or bane? (may be you should make this your next blog)

    Cheers, Rn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rakesh. Call us the old-school guys if you will!

    While we did not get as much information as kids of this generation do, we made up for it by extempore sessions.

    And BTW the fad of carrying laptops / ipads has not yet caught on in all schools in India.

    Keep up the good blogs Roshni, I enjoy reading them.

    ReplyDelete